During the COVID-19 outbreak, many workers have been told to stay home and practice social distancing.
Isolation is tough, but we’re here to help. Here are some things that can keep you busy, feel a little less alone, and stay entertained in the comfort of your own home, including some creative ways to remain social.
1. Tour Museums VirtuallyGoogle Arts & Culture teamed up with over 500 museums and galleries around the world to bring virtual tours and online exhibits of some of the most famous museums around the world including Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum, London’s National Gallery, and the Whitney Museum of American Art.
2. Watch Movies with Friends Virtually Netflix Party is a new Chrome extension that allows you to watch any Netflix show you want with loved ones while you’re social distancing.
Here’s a step-by-step of how to download the Chrome extension for yourself:
– Go to NetflixParty.com and click “Get Netflix Party for Chrome.” That will take you to Chrome’s Web Store. Click “Add to Chrome” which will prompt you to “Add Extension.”
– Pick any film or movie you want. Click the “NP” icon and copy and paste the URL of your selection. Click “Copy URL” and then send that link to any friend you like. When they open the link, voilà, they’ll see exactly what you do.
3. Learn at Home With Scholastic Keep kids reading, thinking, and growing with Scholastic’s Learn at Home program. Kids can do them on their own, with their families, or with their teachers. Just find your grade level and let the learning begin.
4. Support Local Businesses Local restaurants may have had to shut their doors, but many of them still offer takeout or delivery. Here are just a few businesses you can support right now.
Five Stuy Cafe at the Oval is still operating – and created a new take-out menu for residents. Ess-a-Bagel is still serving residents, too. Fill your freezer with Ess-a-Bagel’s pillowy loaves of comfort; they’ll stay good for up to 3 months. Or just stop in for a sandwich.
6. Get Gaming with Kingdom Rush (It’s Free) The Kingdom Rush series is offering games completely free on both iOS and Android. Get ready for an epic journey to defend your kingdom against troll, evil wizards, fantasy creatures with epic battles.
7. Keep Calm with Meditation Apps Ease your mind and reduce stress with a little help from Headspace. Right now, the meditation app is offering all US healthcare professionals who work in public health settings free access to Headspace Plus through 2020.
All other new users can have access to a two-week free trial and access to meditations, sleep, and movement exercises.
8. Stay Connected With UpHabitUpHabit is a contact relationship app for your important contacts that helps users stay connected and strengthen relationships with important people in their lives. You and those close to you can use UpHabit for free during the next 3 months.
9. Stay Fit at HomeFitness Blender is offering free full length workout videos, workout routines, healthy recipes and more — for every fitness level. Or check out this at-home yoga routine to reduce stress.