Home Forums Class 4 Cycle of Poverty Reply To: Cycle of Poverty

Amy Aynedjian

The idea that poverty perpetuates itself is alive and well.
According to 2017 statistics one in seven children in NJ live in poverty. This is a sad reality and the only way to break the cycle is through intervention. This could be where the public sector steps in and assists with rent, food, and medical bills.
I had a coworker who has worked since she was 28 at the same job making a decent salary yet can’t escape the poverty cycle. She now has 3 grandchildren and 2 children of her own all under one roof in order to pay bills together. I can see from the outside looking in how poor judgement money choices are perpetually made. Unnecessary long expensive vacations, newer vehicles requiring car payments and at times unnecessary day camp choices in the summer that are pricey. She is now 60 and should soon qualify for retirement however given her household income I doubt this will become a reality for at least another ten years. People get stuck in this cycle and it becomes multigenerational. Without intervention a family can continue to struggle to pay rent, basic bills and as Anastasia said paying off credit cards gets even more expensive! We as CASAs can hopefully influence a family who needs services and subsidized living to get what they need to thrive.