Home Forums Class 7 Questions for the Panel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Administrator
    Keymaster

Do you have any questions for the Panel?

1. Christina Ramirez – Deputy Attorney General – Attorney for DCPP,

2. Victoria Gonchar – Law Guardian – Children’s attorney

3. Michael Lamolino – Office of Parental Representation – Parent’s attorney

#5550 Reply
    Judith McGuinness

When a child is removed from the home who is considered the legal guardian? What decisions can the parents still make? What kinds of decisions can DCP&P make? Do foster parents have any say about anything? Why don’t we have a Child Advocacy Center in Bergen County? Wouldn’t that help to integrate, expedite and have all services in one place?

#5555 Reply
    Fran Waller Robertson

When a child is removed from the home, where are they physically taken first and what is told to them (I realize that age is a factor)? Who is notified of the chid’s circumstances in those first few hours. Who first compiles a list of contacts and contacts information on the child. Typically how long is it before CASA is assigned a child and how complete is the history of the child?

#5559 Reply
    Cathy Skinner

How does the chain of command work when it is deemed that a child needs to be removed from the home? Who is the one to physically remove the child? Typically, how long is it from the removal of child from home to that child meeting their CASA? Do you feel that CASAs are well respected and taken seriously?

#5566 Reply
    Anastasia Warden

What are some “must-haves” in a CASA court report? What kind of information from the CASA do you find most helpful?

#5575 Reply
    Alondra Palacios

What exactly is your role and responsibilities? What are some common issues, if any, that you see occur? Do you have any tips on working with the parents?

#5605 Reply
    Suzanne Doll

At the time of the presentation, I did not have any questions that were not answered by the experienced panel. However, I did have a comment. I was surprised to learn evaluations and assessments were not being completed during Covid due to limitations/policices (understandably) in place at the agencies completing the assessments. Where I work, in Westchester County, (NY) Court assessments regarding custody and other family matters never stopped. Psycological Evals, ordered by the Family Court, were completed with extensive precautions in place. This is just an observation I wanted to point out as I was surprised this service “was on hold” in Bergen County.

#5606 Reply
    Suzanne Doll

At the time of the presentation, I did not have any questions that were not answered by the experienced panel. However, I did have a comment. I was surprised to learn evaluations and assessments were not being completed during Covid due to limitations/policies (understandably) in place at the agencies completing the assessments. Where I work, in Westchester County, (NY) Court assessments regarding custody and other family matters never stopped. Psychological Evals, ordered by the Family Court, were completed with extensive precautions in place. This is just an observation I wanted to point out as I was surprised this service “was on hold” in Bergen County.

#5717 Reply
    Shama Thakkar

How do you deal with emotional circumstances such as if the child has an emotional breakdown? And how do you handle a situation where you witness abuse?

#5735 Reply
    Mindy Felixbrod

How will any of the experts interact with me. What are they looking for from me either in the report or in a conversation? Do they ever want to a conversation about the kid I’m advocating for ?

#5736 Reply
    Peter Manuel

I would have liked to ask a question of the attorney, which was partially answered in the discussion: How do you represent the desires of a child–which is your obligation–when you in fact believe that the child (let us suppose, a 16-yr-old) is mistaken, and that the court would do better to rule against the child’s stated wishes? There was some discussion of this, and actually it is a question that I was discussing the other day with an attorney friend, and which pertains to law practice in general – e.g., how does a defense attorney operate if he/she believes or knows that the client is in fact guilty? But in the discussion I learned a good bit about the child-attorney’s modus operandi.

#5744 Reply
    Amy Aynedjian

I would’ve asked Victoria how she specifically supports an LGBTQ child as she speaks for their interests. These children seem so exposed to abuse by adults, peers and their placement in an ideal environment seems difficult.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Questions for the Panel
Your information: