Home Forums Class 9 The Iceberg Metaphor (Chapter 5 Page 7)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Administrator
    Keymaster

The Iceberg metaphor (Chapter 5 Page 7) is that just as an iceberg shows only 20% of above the water line – this can also be true about a how much a person reveals about their culture. Share an unseen rule or trait of your culture that others may not be aware of – that is submerged below your water line.

#5601 Reply
    Cathy Skinner

I’m Irish Catholic and grew up with those traditions ingrained in me. Part of the culture is that you don’t “talk about” family issues, problems, etc. As I’ve grown into middle age, I’ve realized that this is not necessarily healthy. Today, I believe we are healthier by having a respect for talking about and solving issues that could have plagued us in the past.

#5608 Reply
    Suzanne Doll

I am White, of European descent and I am Catholic. My cultural beliefs have grown and changed over the years as I have grown. My husband is Latino and I have adopted many of his traditions so that my children are exposed to both cultures. I have “bumped heads” with my in-laws as I am not the traditional Latino wife/mother. However, I am always respectful of their thoughts and beliefs.

#5624 Reply
    Judith McGuinness

My parents were Italian-Americans. They have been gone over 20 years now. I only knew one set of grandparents, who were from Italy. One died when I was 7 and the other when I was 21. I left home and was married when I was 18. When I was 32 I found out that I had been adopted so I’m not Italian and honestly I’m not sure my adoptive family acted, behaved or thought in any type of “cultural” way.

#5630 Reply
    Shama Thakkar

I am South-Asian (Indian/Hindu), was born in India and raised in the U.S. I was ingrained with the beliefs to “suck it up” and put on a brave face. Many of the behavioral beliefs were fear-based and based on survival, which made sense for when people in my community immigrated to the U.S.

#5639 Reply
    Peter Manuel

As an Anglo-American, I have perhaps been accustomed to thinking of our culture as “normal”, reasonable, natural, and also relaxed and flexible in terms of sexual behavior. However, living abroad (e.g., in India, for five years), I noticed that, for example, young men can be very physically affectionate and familiar with each other, in a way that has nothing to do with homosexuality. It is very common, for example, in India to see two young men walking down the street holding hands. We Anglo-American men, by contrast, are quite rigidly inhibited in that sense.

#5642 Reply
    mindy felixbrod

I am jewish. I believe that jews are misunderstood race /religion. I am not sure what is unknown by those that don’t know but I know it exists and is different for every person. I would happily have a conversation to clarify any misconceptions. One thing that is very interesting and relatively unknown bc it is so different is that there is no one person in charge of the religion. ( like a pope) There are no new laws made. Each congregation is self governing based on the old testament as it exists. Each congregation finds it’s own comfort levels with the observances. The values have never changed.

#5645 Reply
    Anastasia Warden

I shared this with the class but I will repeat it here …. I am Italian on my mother’s side. I have witnessed both with my mother’s generation and my own that the oldest generation finds it appropriate (and apparently necessary) to continue to try and make decisions for their children and grandchildren – or at least share their opinion very loudly and vehemently. With regard to family celebrations, you go where the matriarch stipulates – though the food is always excellent. 🙂

Also – the younger generation will not be informed of any illness if the older generation unless that person is gravely (receiving last rites / moved to hospice care) ill or once the family member is home and safe.

#5658 Reply
    Fran Waller Robertson

While above the water line I grew up in a loving Catholic home. Below the line, my parents sent my brother and I to Catholic schools. We received the training from the nuns. (it was wonderful) But at home, my mother suffered from sever undiagnosed depression. My father stayed at work too many hours. When they were together, they actually never spoke to each other. I only remember fights. It became very easy for my brother and I to put on the smile and appear all good. To this day, we cannot remember having a meal as a family. SAD!

#5660 Reply
    Alondra Palacios

I mentioned this in class last week but I am Mexican. Mexicans can be extremely sexist. A lot of older generations have been instilled that women are to serve men. They also believe that certain roles are only for men and the same for women. Luckily, the new generations do not see things this way.

#5665 Reply
    Amy Aynedjian

I grew up in a middle class Anglo American family and our culture was influenced by our affluent church family. We grew up with many negative ideas about other people because of what they didn’t have. My siblings and I didn’t need the stuff we were given and often laid it aside for simpler things. This outraged my mother who said she never had these things when she was young. We celebrated Christian holidays with my grandparents.
    On the other hand my husband’s family are immigrants who moved here to escape persecution. His parents both came here as teenagers and Know what it’s like to be content with what you have. My husband definitely has their mentality and works hard to provide for us. Sometimes I think he works too hard because that was instilled in him by his family. His culture celebrates the Orthodox Christian ✝️ holidays and that has really helped me value the meaning of the holidays. It also helps avoid with whom to celebrate conflicts!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: The Iceberg Metaphor (Chapter 5 Page 7)
Your information: